Sunday, May 19, 2013

Here's a recap of a facebook conversation I just had with a buddy about mods to our Sertao bikes:


  • Hey bro! I have rode my setao pretty hard on and off road. I have 15,000 miles in less than a yr now. I changed chain and sprockets at 11,000 miles and stayed with the Tourane tires since I stay on pavement usually. Been thinking about adding some material to the seat. Probably us some like memory foam. ill take off the seat cover and build up the existing seat with foam and stretch the cover back on. After a hundred miles I get the butt ache. Never had any fatigue on my 1200 or 1600. Now I just have the sertao. Other than that I've installed a k and n air filter and smoke led tail light. Also stickers because stickers are just fun for me. Your in an opposite position for adventuring the smokies. I commute to work on my sertao, 75 miles 5 days a week no matter the weather conditions. Tell about your sertao
  • Jeff Kurtz
    Thanks for the detail. I am just over 11,000 miles in 13 months. Didn't like the way the Tourane tires tracked withe very little crack in the road... also had handle bar shimmy at about 35 MPH. BMW Jax said it was my luggage, but as soon as I switched to Scout 60's that went away. They seem to stick to the pavement well even on GA curves. I know they cost me probably 10% in fuel at 80 MPH.
  • Jeff Kurtz
    I added HID heqadlight. Denali running lights mounted on the inside end of the brushgard brackets. 6" taller windscreen (I'm a wimp). Digital tail light from Tractor supply. Givi top box with brake lights. BMW Side cases with added amber turn indicators. BMW Jax says my rear sprocket will last a while. FL sand was tough on rear tire and chain. Rear brake locked up. BMW Jax said it was caliper and they replaced it warranty. Gad cap broke and come off in my hand. I have a rubber cork with an eye bolt for a gas cap. Will find a dealer eventually and press for warranty repair.
  • Jeff Kurtz
    I also added a KUBA link to drop the rear end one inch. then handle bar lift kit and slid down the fork tubes a couple inches. I had trouble reaching the ground.
    Buddy of mine drove his Sertao from Toronto to Mexico last year. he recommended the Heidnau tires. He also talked about changing the sproket ratio but I haven't heard if he did.
  • Jeff Kurtz
    THen... (sorry, I'm a retired engineer... we never quit tinkering...) I read about a Booster Plug. From england for all BMW's. Boosts low end power about 5 or 7%. I was having problems killing the engine in parking lots and stops. This was an instant fix. The guys at the dealership came back from a road test and asked what I had done. It's a real stump puller now. 2nd gear in sand and water is fun.
  • Jeff Kurtz
    I would think it would be a great commuter bike... nimble and nearly 60 mpg. The GA Rally was sorta rained out but did some off road with the BMW performance reps. They were at FL winter rally also. I like the off road but hate to be out there in knee deep water with no buddies around. Found some fun dirt and gravel roads here. the tires track like arrows.
  • Jeff Kurtz
    Will quit bending your ear. Have a good evening... I'm sitting out the rain at Vogel State Park. Bring beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment