Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Traveling has been super...   time to blog has been minimal... ditto editing and posting photos.

Left Suwannee River Wilderness Trail at Dowling Park FL on Sunday.  217 miles to National Civil War Maritime Museum in Columbus, GA.  Interesting to visit.   The website is almost as exciting as being inside the vintage boat reconstructions...   some of them were HUGE!  (Pics when I get caught up.

Monday drove to Cloudland Canyon State Park in GA.   This was, beyond a doubt, the most dramatic waterfall and canyon area I have ever seen... The Grand Canyon is massive but this is every bit as dramatic with two waterfalls that I could see that had to be 300 - 500 ft. cascades.   Video'd the sunrise and the valley awakening.  This park is def a two-day visit with several miles and 600 steps down to the base of the falls.  (nope, I didn't take the hike... just read the brochur.)   Will put this on the list for  a return visit when I'm not on a time-line. Will come back and post link to that asap.   The drive there from the south (Rts 100, 48 and 157) was the best I had been on for months.  Lots of curves, climbs, and the last 20 miles was as quiet and out of the way roads as I can recall... could have been in middle of Canada.  

Tuesday headed north into Tennessee.   That first 30 miles was more of the same with twists and rises to brighten the cool morning ride.  Did more 4-lane than I had expected but made Sgt Alvin York state park by 1:00 for refresher on WWI's most decorated enlisted man.  Nice 10 minute documentary in the visitor's center.   Come to find out there is no camping there but they directed me north (convenient) to Bid South Fork National Forest.

This park could be a week of adventures with waterfalls, natural bridges, canyons and nearly 200 miles of maintained horse trails.   I was pretty much the only camper there that wasn't towing a horse trailer.   The sites were nicely spread out and well maintained.   The visitor center has a stabling area for horses.    Several local stores advertised that they stocked food, beer AND had HORSES FOR SALE!  

This morning I left there trying to beat the rain to Lexington...   6:00A depart and the rain arrived 10 minutes before I got off Rt 75 at x113.  Pulled in to Meadowthorpe Cafe for super breakfast.   Says it is voted "best breakfast in town" and I can believe that.   Nice to eat local vs. a chain store for first Lexington meal.  

Am right now at American Legends Motorcycle getting my new Heideneur tires mounted.  My OEM tires may have had another 1000 miles in them, but I got this out of the way on a good day in my schedule.   It's about 2:00 now and the rain has lifted.   Hopefully they will be done in a few and I'll be back on the road.  Dave (owner?) is swapping my tires out and has been very informative about what he sees for balance and install details.

Looking forward to time tonight to edit pics and videos from the last few days.  Then will be off to the Rolex International Three Day Event at the Kentucky Horse Park.  Am representing Helite air-vests from France.   Details another time.

Ride Safe!

Jeff





No comments:

Post a Comment