Friday, October 3, 2014

Happy Day!   TGIF and all that...   

I'm going to share some planning and thoughts with a bunch of you people to see if you can contribute to the quality of my decision making,,, or can suggest purchase options.

Donna and I started out looking at RV's to travel this winter.   My dream setup would be RV with motorcycle rack and a towed cage.   

Being practical, we decided last week to consider the motorcycle options first...  Something we would both be comfy with and I can still take off road.   Looked at 1200GS's at Grass roots but the price tag is daunting and, any way you look at it, they are heavy bikes.  Pat Taylor showed us a 2015 F700GS (800CC 76hp) that looks pretty inviting.  I can flatfoot on it, more power, lots of storage options.  I don't really like the 19" front wheel, but not the end of the world.    All decked out with luggage, bash plate, windshield  and lights it's almost $16,000.   

Then I got thinking of what all is going to be included in this ultimate travel system...   Add headset communications ($500 for 4 user system) and add trailer.   Still haven't gotten to the Toy Hauler yet...

Remember the movie BEAUTIFUL MIND?    So what if no body goes for the blonde???   (I know, it's  a stretch...)  Maybe we don't even buy another bike yet...  We started out process by looking at motorhomes...   the biggest and most complicated investment.

But what if we start with the communications so Donna and I can be in touch whether on the bike two-up or she follows me?   A simple first investment and stick with the bike I have until we work out that this life style is even going to pan out for us as a couple?

Then go ahead and buy a trailer for behind the 650.  Motomule or Bushtek.  Take some weight off

the bike and have room for her curling iron...

So at this point I'm open for suggestions on trailer options and new or almost new BMW's.  

Your thoughts?

Thanks for being on my list of trusted and respected buddies!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment